Tips on how to choose the right custom homebuilder will help you choose a builder you can place confidence in. When you start planning to build a new home, the builder you choose is just as important as the location you choose to build in. Here are a few things you should consider:
- What are your needs and wants? When you start thinking about a builder, you want to make sure you pick a general contractor who builds the type of home you’re interested in and within your price range. If you plan on building a starter home, a larger firm may not be interested in helping. Likewise, if you want a large designer home, a builder who specializes in family style homes may not have the expertise and connections to build a designer home. Decide beforehand, how big you want your home, what style and what your budget is.
- Ask neighbors and friends for referrals. When you consider how to choose the right custom homebuilder, you might find that you can almost get a feel for the types of homes you are interested in and narrow the pick down to a few choice builders. When my sister was building their new home, they drove around the large neighborhood they were building in and asked advice about which builders their neighbors used. They found some houses they liked and others they didn’t. By talking with others they got an idea which builders had a good reputation and which builders people had problems with. If you have a builder in mind, ask for references. You should find out if they would consider using their builder again. If so, they should be able to tell you why.
- Is the builder licensed and insured. Make sure the builder you choose has the proper licenses and insurance. Everyone who works for the builder and general contractor should be courteous and well respected. Looking at the subcontractors and how they are treated can often give you a better idea of who your builder is. This is important when you consider how to choose the right custom homebuilder.
- What about warranty work? Find out if the home your having built will be under any kind of warranty. Also make sure your builder has a good reputation when it comes to finishing the punch list and doing repairs after the initial construction is over.
- Tour Model Homes. Once you have a few builders in mind, take time to tour homes recently built by the builder and also model homes. Look for quality in the work and materials used. Does the builder meet and exceed your standards? If so, meet with the builder to determine if you can form a good working relationship. You can determine a lot about the builder you are hoping to choose by interviewing them. Stop by current building sites to see how progress is going and if there is any evidence of problems.
How To Choose The Right Custom Home Builder
Building a custom home is an exciting time in your life. It can also be stressful. Having the right builder on board makes a huge difference. You wouldn’t want to place all your time, effort and money with a builder who couldn’t deliver the custom home you envisioned. You also wouldn’t want to have your home partially completed and find out a problem along the way will halt the process. Make sure the builder you choose is experienced and has been in business long enough to know what they’re doing. Toebben Builders is just this type builder. If you are looking for a custom homebuilder who can deliver a beautiful new home, call the builder with decades of experience. Call Toebben Builders.
Proudly serving all of Northern Kentucky and Greater Cincinnati Ohio.